Monday, June 2, 2008

Radford VA Farmer's Market


Well, my second time working the Radford farmer's market was Saturday, and the weather was much nicer than the first go round.


No wind, no rain and what appeared to be a pretty good turnout.


There are lots of great vendors with lots of goods to browse through, from vegetable plants and herbs to aprons and, of course, jewelry.


Still, the jewelry represented is all so different that each booth seems to have its own catagory.


I was next to a nice young lady names Star that had some lovely beaded earrings for sale. Never one to resist a shiny, I walked over to look them over and was happy to find lots of variety, color and texture on her table.


On the other side of me were a mother and son team selling vegetable plants. I had a nice conversation with the mother and the son assisted in adjusting my table coverings after the wind blew them up onto my displays.


That's what I enjoy about small town markets: the relaxed nature and friendly atmosphere. Most people are very nice and want to talk to you about your work, where you're from, etc.


Of course, I also had a few that scoffed at my prices, asked "is any of that REAL?" and that were generally unpleasant, but that's life, isn't it?


I also had a few sales, which is always good. I've determined that I'll be going every other week or so...I've gotta' sleep in SOMEtime, right?


So, if you're in the area of the New River Valley in VA, stop by some time! The market is every Saturday from 8-1 in Radford just off Main Street by the train tracks. You'll see the sign as you're coming in.


If you're interested in becoming a vendor, check out their website here: Radford Farmer's Market

2 comments:

Rosebud Collection said...

Sounds like a nice place to be..Yes, you are right about, not pleasing people all the time..The way I look at it, if you don't like the price, don't buy it..you don't have to say anything. But I am sure the nice people outweigh the others.

Sew Bettie said...

Glad the fair is going well for you! A good friend of mine from college grew up in Radford. Sounds like a great place to be.